Sunday, December 27, 2009

French Benedict

Eggs Benedict is one of my favorite breakfasts, hands down, but who has the time during the week (or weekend) to cook it? "Not I," said the tall pig.

This is a "French" version of the Benedict (for reasons explained in the video) and is super easy to make and enjoy. It's become a go-to breakfast for me. Try it, you'll like it.

Greg


-French Benedict: Poached eggs atop toasted French bread, sopressata and Havarti cheese


Recipe/Instructions:

-French Benedict-
I'm not blogging to teach you how to cook, sorry, and for those of you who do know how to cook, I won't waste your time with needless instructions. So, toast some bread, poach some eggs and assemble the toast, sopressata (or other sliced meat) and Havarti (or other variety of) cheese as shown in the video. Then, eat and enjoy. *Note: I have also spread Dijon mustard on the toast before adding the meat, cheese and eggs. The mustard really kicks it up a notch, but you should use discretion with the amount of mustard you apply.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I'm a poached egg on toast person so I'm going to get the ingredients this week. Always nice to "kick it up a notch." I plan to melt the cheese a bit though before I put the egg on it. Maybe I'll even add a slice of tomato...ah, the possibilities.
    NR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspired by your French Benedict, I toasted some sourdough bread, put proscuitto and Swiss cheese on top, melted the cheese slightly, and then put two nicely poached eggs on top. Mmmm,deliciousness. Was going to call it Italian Benedict because of the proscuitto but what about the Swiss cheese? ...and sourdough is so American. Global Benedict perhaps? Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My version of the Italian Benedict is toasted sourdough topped with pesto, sliced tomato, sliced Havarti cheese (slightly melted) and poached eggs. Turned out delicious, but I forgot to video the results. Oh well. I'm definitely going to keep trying different variations. Thai-style next, because have leftover curry. :)

    I also made a California Benedict, with...you guessed it...avocado. Toasted sourdough, mustard, sliced tomato, sliced avocado, sliced turkey and poached eggs. This is my second favorite, closely following French Benedict, but Megan liked the Italian Benedict better.

    To each their own Benedict, I say.

    ReplyDelete