Monday, December 21, 2009

Chicken Wings with a Side of Silliness

If you've been to one of my parties, you've probably eaten my chicken wings. I think I make damn good chicken wings, and other people think so, too.

After hearing many stories of my great pub cuisine, Megan begged me to make my famous wings. I agreed to made some together. Two styles: Buffalo and Thai.

Mmmmm. Wings.

Giddyup.

Greg

BTW, chicken wings were the second meat I chose at Costco, so expect more chicken wing posts in the future.


-Chicken Wings Two Ways: Thai style and mild Buffalo style, with blue cheese dressing



Recipes/instructions:

Chicken Wings - Throw them into a 400 degree oven on a baking sheet for around 45 minutes. The skin will be crispy and GBD. Simple. Practice makes perfect.

Buffalo Wing Sauce - Easiest sauce in the world. Take the chicken wings straight out of the oven and into a mixing bowl. Put 2 tabs of butter for every 20 wings or so, and a few tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce. Texas Pete and Louisiana Hot Sauce are my 99 cent favorites; I hate Tobasco, but to each their own. Simply toss the wings with the butter and the hot sauce and let their heat melt the butter and mix the two together. Your wings will be perfectly coated and not drenched. You may easily add to or ease off the spice factor, too. I add cayenne pepper and sometimes paprika.

Thai Style Glaze- If you like chicken wings, but don't like the heat of Buffalo wings, try this glaze, which might be my new favorite wing sauce. Don't be afraid of the jalepenos, they are sweeter than they are spicy, and even Megan thought that these wings were not too spicy at all. They still are balanced, but nothing like a Buffalo wing. I basically read a few recipes from Allrecipes.com and created my own version. Here's a good recipe to begin with, but play around with it and make it your own:

2 comments:

  1. Buffalo wing sauce should use Frank's Hot Sauce as its base - this is not preference, this is fact. One hint I learned in my pursuit of the perfect wing is using margarine instead of butter, which gives the sauce more of a creamy texture (butter and vinegar (the base of all hot sauces) are immiscible and often separate rather quickly). Also adding some garlic powder takes a tip from the Russian gourmets that "garlic makes everything better." (They are right in this instance.)

    Yes, all these ingredients are more gourmand than gourmet - but it's buffalo wings, not Chateaubriand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How dare you belittle Buffalo wings! I tell you what...I've been in the mood for wings way more than I've been in the mood for Chateaubriand. Although....mmmmm....Chateaubriand. I think they sell it at Costco too, but I imagine that the price per pound of Chateaubriand is slightly more than the price per pound of chicken wings.

    ReplyDelete