Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Peanut Butter and Jelly French Toast

When your Greg-sized, you eat big meals. This breakfast is certainly not for everyone; it's definitely not Megan food, and probably rivals McDonald's breakfasts for calories. It's French toast stuffed with peanut butter and jelly...complete with a side of bacon.

In this video, you'll notice the return of the Challah bread. Yes, the Challah was also a Costco purchase, and it was delicious all week! Multipurpose bread - sausage rolls, French toast, and...regular toast. Apparently, I'd be a good Jewish boy, because Megan said that I'd make a Jewish mother proud by eating a whole loaf of Challah bread in less than a week.

Greg


-Challah bread French toast, stuffed with peanut butter and blackberry preserves


Recipe/Instructions:

French Toast with peanut butter and jelly:

French toast: Mix milk, eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl. I don't know the amounts. I eyeball them, because I'm such a badass chef. If I had to estimate, I would suggest the following proportions: 1 cup milk / 1 egg / 2 tbls sugar /1 tsp vanilla. I could be way off, so try it a couple times and figure out what you like (e.g. I don't like "eggy" French toast). Once you have your liquid mixture ready and whipped together, dunk the bread slices in. Make sure to flip it and let the liquid soak in for only a second or two. Any more and the bread would be too soggy for stove-top cooking). Grill your dipped bread on a buttered griddle over medium-high heat, until GBD.

The first PB and J French toast sandwich I prepared by lathering peanut butter and jelly on the bread, sandwiching the two slices and then dunking the whole thing into the liquid. However, the sandwich structure did not let the egg in the center have direct contact with the stove, and didn't cook through. So, for the second sandwich, I cooked each slice on one side, flipped them, then put the peanut butter and jelly on and sandwiched the slices. This worked much better.

I suggest taking it easy with the PB and J; a little goes a long way with these strong flavors, but the melty peanut butter and sweet jam go terrific with the French toast. This breakfast sandwich is no Monte Cristo, but easily made and thoroughly enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment